The Incutio XML-RPC Library for PHP
IXR Manual | Download the Library | Example Web Services
The Incutio XML-RPC library (IXR) is designed primarily for ease of use. It incorporates both client and server classes, and
is designed to hide as much of the workings of XML-RPC from the user as possible. A key feature of the library is automatic
type conversion from PHP types to XML-RPC types and vice versa. This should enable developers to write web services with
very little knowledge of the underlying XML-RPC standard.
Don't however be fooled by it's simple surface. The library includes a wide variety of additional XML-RPC specifications
and has all of the features required for serious web service implementations.
- A complete implementation of the XML-RPC specification
- Written for PHP 4 in strict error reporting mode - no warnings or notices
- Basic classes are designed to be usable in as little code as possible
- Advanced classes extend the basic classes and provide additional features
- Can be used with both Object Orientated and functional programming styles
- Type conversions (PHP to XML-RPC and back again) are handled transparently
- Built in support for system.getCapabilities
- Built in support for system.listMethods
- system.methodSignature and system.methodHelp are supported in an extension class
- system.multicall is implemented in both the server and extended client classes
- Follows the Specification for Fault Code Interoperability
The first draught of the manual can be found here. A brief beginner's guide is also available. Please send feedback on the manual to simon at incutio dot com
You can download the library here: Incutio XML-RPC Library v1.7.4 - 9KB (Please note change of license as of 1.7.3)
This library, as of version 1.7.3, is made available under the terms of the New BSD License.
- Version 1.7.4 (current), 7th September 2010 - merged in contributed changes, updated license
- Version 1.6, 26th May 2003 - minor bug fixes
- Version 1.5, September 4th 2002
We have set up two web services to demonstrate IXR's capabilities - XML-RPC interfaces to FOLDOC and the Jargon File, two popular freely available online dictionaries. Details can be found on our Example Web Services page.
Alternative PHP Implementations
PHP developers are spoilt for choice when it comes to selecting an XML-RPC library. Here are some of the other libraries available: